What is the right thing and how do we move from knowing to doing?
Based on work from the Canadian Rave Relations Foundation's publication, Doing the Right Thing (online and free for teachers and students) participants will
- explore issues in Canadian history that presented people of the time with choices
- critique the choices made then and since
- examine how to help students make reasoned judgments and informed actions on relevant public issues
- use a co-operative learning structure to generate form of commemorating the past and / or apologizing for mistakes we have made building on ideas we already have
- use a visible thinking routine to assess impact on learning complex issues
John has taught grade 3-adult in four provinces and three countries. His current interests are in helping teachers and students examine the past in areas of mutlicultural, immigrant and indiegnous histories as well as assessment techniques to help teachers and student see the impact of learning about complex issues and ideas. Much of this work has involved working with The Canadian Race Relations Foundfation.